Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hudson's new Aunt Valentine

In May '08, I was privileged to be a part of a team of people who spent some time in Rwanda.  It has since left an imprint in my heart and given me a deep love for the people of Rwanda.  After my time there it wasn't long before Travis and I knew we were going to begin the journey of having a family.   As excited as I was, I knew I wouldn't be able to return to Rwanda for a season.

Through the grace of God, Travis and I plan on raising our children in a home where the number one desire is for God to be glorified.  A huge passion of ours is to spread His glory throughout all the earth.  I want Hudson, even as a child, to be able to have the chance to serve God in other nations since this is a clear commandment laid out in scripture. However, for now we are going to do that in our own backyard.  I am excited to share that God has brought Rwandans to us!

Below is a picture of Hudson with Valentine and Hope:
Valentine and Hope both just moved here from Rwanda about 3 weeks ago.  Our alma mater, California Baptist University, has a program which allows for the students who tested the highest in Rwanda to come on a full ride scholarship to study here.  The goal for the program is to educate and enable the Rwandans to go back home after they graduate and to help to continue to rebuild their country.  
While they are here for the 4 years, different families in surrounding churches adopt the Rwandans as part of their families.  My mom and step dad... and well all the rest of us.... have adopted Valentine.  She will be with us on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and just times when she will need to get off campus.  Hope is one of her friends, whom I am sure we will get to know as well. 
Hudson and Valentine:

Hudson and Hope:
I am so excited to be around these amazing girls and for Hudson to see how big our God really is.  My prayer is this will be the beginning of planting seeds in Hudson's life for people of all nations. We have so much to learn from them and I can't wait to see what the next 4 years hold for us.  Who knows... maybe one day we will get to take Hudson to see where Valentine is from. 

No comments: