Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hudson Ryan Collins

Here is a really long post with lost of pictures to make up for the last month.

Well, I am back from my blog sabbatical:) I have been a busy with the most precious gift I have ever received... a sweet baby boy! Sorry it has taken me so long to post, but I wanted to be sure to post pictures along with his birth story. I have had some computer issues, but we are now back up and running.  To see more pictures that Uncle Trever took (some of which are not included in this post) click here.

So here is the story of how Hudson Ryan Collins joined our family and changed our lives forever. 

Hudson was due on April 25th... that day came and went with nothing to report.  Below is a picture of me on our due date. 

On Sunday morning, April 26th around 9:30 I finally began having contractions. They weren't very strong, but they were consistently about 5 minutes apart. I didn't think much of it because I knew we couldn't leave for the hospital until I couldn't talk through the contractions. So, we decided to go with our day as planned.

Travis never has a Sunday morning off, and he had planned ahead to take the Sunday, just in case Hudson came on time, so we wanted to take advantage of our morning together. We walked downtown with our dog Gunner, Chris and Amy Hof who came to spend the day, my sister Summer, and my dad and Kathy. There is a farmers market every Sunday and Travis has never been able to go. We made a few purchases and then had lunch at a Mexican restaurant.

My contractions were still coming about 5 minutes apart and they were finally getting stronger. Around 12:30 I told Trav I was pretty sure he was going to have to call in his back up plan to cover for the service he was supposed to lead worship for that night. I figured little Hudson was probably going to arrive within the next 24 hours.

Travis had high hopes that when I went into labor he would get to rush me to the car...just like the movies... speed on the freeway...just like the movies... and wheel me into labor and delivery. I think he was a little disappointed that I was in labor and still walking around without any sense of urgency. I really didn't want to get to the hospital too early and have them send me away.

So, after lunch I decided to go get my eyebrows waxed (which Chris Hof thought was hilarious...but, hey we were downtown and I had been meaning to go to the salon all week). I had a few contractions while laying on the table that were pretty painful. I am sure I scared the sweet Asian lady who was waxing the eyebrows of this pregnant lady who was obviously in labor.

After my trip to the salon, we decided to walk to the frozen yogurt stop. On our walk home I was having to squat during the contractions because they were definitely more painful. We made it home and I decided to take a shower and try to relax. My dad, Kathy and Summer all ran home to gather a few things in anticipation of spending the night at the hospital. Chris and Amy hung out with us while we timed the contractions.

Of course, Travis was making me laugh and this is not a good thing when you are in labor. It is definitely more painful to have a contraction and laugh at the same time. By this point the contractions had been about 3 minutes apart for over an hour. I still didn't want to head into the hospital though because I could still talk through them.

Finally, around 3:30 we decided to call the doctor just to see. The doctor thought it would be best for me to come in and get checked since they were so close together and I live 20 minutes away from the hospital. I reluctantly got up and started getting ready. I figured I would get there and they would just turn me away. So, I took my time. I put makeup on which I believe most girls would do in my situation...but again Chris Hof found great humor in this.

(below is me taking a break from putting on makeup during a contraction)

We loaded up in the car and headed for the hospital. By the time we were in the car, I was definitely have strong enough contractions that I couldn't talk through them and I had to use the breathing methods we had learned in birthing class. I remember telling Trav to be careful driving over and large bumps if he had to do so while I was having a contraction.

We arrived at the hospital around 4:30. I was hoping I was far enough along that they would keep me. After the being checked, I was cleared to stay! I was 60% effaced and at 3 cm. The nurse was wonderful and started getting everything ready for the epidural right away. The contractions were continuing to increase in intensity and I was definitely ready for the "oh-so-wonderful" epidural.

I think within an hour of arriving I received the epidural and it was, as promised, "oh so wonderful". I can't imagine having a baby without it. I definitely give kudos to those of you women who have had babies without medication.

After the pain was gone, all my family came in and we were just visiting. After about 2 hours which seemed more like 30 minutes, I finally felt like I needed to push. This came as a surprise, as everyone was prepared to spend the next 12 hours in the hospital. We event sent a few people out for food! The nurse checked me and to both her and my surprise I was 100% effaced, at 10 cm, and she could feel his head. Since his head was so low she said I wouldn't have to push long and she began to quickly prepare for the pushing stage. 

The pushing was definitely harder and more painful than I had expected, but totally worth it. After 43 minutes of pushing Hudson Ryan Collins was born. My mom, sisters and Travis were all hysterically crying. I was so exhausted from pushing I initially didn't cry at all. He came out face up which the doctor said is more painful and harder to push out versus the way they are suppose to come out--face down.  They laid our sweet baby boy on me and I just remember looking down and see his bright blue eyes looking me straight in the face. It was a moment I will never forget. He was born on April 26th at 9:03pm weighing in at 7 lbs 4 oz and he was 20" long.  

Travis was so emotional looking at his son for the first time. 

I have to say the moments we had in the hospital were some of the most sweet moments of my life. Travis and I are completely in love with our son and our love for each other and our love for the Lord even has more depth to it.  I actually really enjoyed my birth experience with Hudson and I am looking forward to doing it again when hopefully God will add to our family.  For now we are excited about life's adventures with Hudson. 

The aunts anxiously waiting to meet their nephew.  My mom and sisters were in the room taking pictures and video taping so Travis could just focus on being my coach. 

Sweet Hudson

I was totally emotional as we left the hospital.  It was such a surreal moment.  We had walked through those hospital doors so many times dreaming about what our little boy would look like and wondering about what it would be like to have him.  And there I was holding him... so of course, I was crying. 

The proud daddy bringing his baby home. 

Thanks to Uncle Brandon's artist ability we had a sign in our front window welcoming Hudson home. 

Thanks to another awesome photographer and friend Michael Norwood for the pictures below:

Got to love the double chin ;)


Anonymous said...

ok I am officially crying, he is beautiful! what a great story!

Megan said...

Hayley!! Thanks for sharing!! What a beautiful birth story and I love the pics!! Can you imagine not being able to bring him home for FIVE WEEKS?!?! He wouldn't even be home yet, if you were me. And I didn't get to hold or see my babies for a day and a half! :(
I remember being wheeled out on the days we finally got to bring them home. Talk about surreal! After everything we had been through........It's one of my favorite moments.
I love how detailed you were about you labor day! Thanks again for sharing and I'm looking FWD to MANY more posts and seeing his beautiful face!

Seeking His Face said...

thank you for sharing! i love a good birth story;) sounds like you did amazing!

congratulations! enjoy that precious gift. he is beautiful!!!


Anonymous said...

That was definitely worth the wait. He's precious!
love you :)

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Congratulations!!!! He is so cute! That was a great birth story! :)

Anonymous said...

YAY! FINALLY!!!! I loved your blog & was so excited to read it. Beautiful story.. made me cry and remember Ava's big day... can't believe Hud's been her a month (or that Ava's been here 3 months for that matter!)
Enjoy your precious bundle! He's gorgeous!!!

The Hofschroer's said...

I just love him and I definitely love you! your post was well worth the wait... hopefully we don't have to wait 4 or 5 weeks to get more pictures of his precious face!!! comments and stories are welcome but just slap a picture up from time to time and we will be satisfied! =)

Tim and Shannon said...

He is so precious! I can't wait to meet him! btw...I totally did my make-up and hair when I was in labor too...guys will never understand. :) love you and miss you!

Shaun, Erica, & Isaac said...

So precious! You're story sounds a lot like mine... quick! I didn't do my hair and make-up when I went in to have Isaac and now looking back at pictures, I totally regret it! Bravo!

I agree with Amy... post pictures when you can! No pressure but I know you must take at least a hundred a day! :)

Cope Family said...

What a great story! Such beautiful pictures. I tried to do my hair and make-up with Cassidy because I didn't with Carson. I couldn't do it with her either! :-) Congratulations again!!

Shanalea Atchison said...

Good to hear the story. I am glad that you experience was a good one. I think I would have been laughing right along with Chris, but I might get my eye brows done as well. Enjoy each precious moment because before you know it they are 7 and know it all or they are 3 and half and can do all by themself or they are 1 and don't like to be cuddled anymore because they want to be up and running around. Each phase has blessings and hardships. Enjoy each one. next time you're in Riverside give us a call. We would love to meet Hudson.