Last weekend, we had the had the blessing of being treated to a weekend in Lake Arrowhead with a Christian music label. It really was such a refreshing time especially for Travis. It is a rare thing to be surrounded by a big group worship leaders, so needless to say, it was great for Trav to share with them the joys, struggles and just some of their funny stories about leading worship. Plus, they had a time to go around to share new worship songs they have written and get some feed back. The families were invited to come along too, so it was so much fun.
Unfortunately, the morning we were suppose to leave Hudson burned his hand on our heater. Our little beach cottage was built in the 50s and thus, we have appliances from the 50s. Our heater is a wall heater and it gets really hot when it is on. Since I was pregnant, I remember being afraid that one day our little baby would touch the heater. Well, that day was last Friday.
I was changing loads of laundry and I had a close eye on him. As soon as I turned to put more clothes in the dryer, he must have made a mad dash for the heater. The next thing I knew he was screaming from the hallway where I found him. He instantly grabbed his hand and I knew it wasn't going to be good. I instantly ran his hand under water and we called the doctor.
Within about an hour Hudson had a blister on the end of his thumb and on the palm of his hand. All this to say, I sent Travis up the mountain without us. We weren't sure if I was going to have to take Hudson into the doctor or if they were just going to prescribe some ointment. I didn't want to take him up to Lake Arrowhead if we needed to take him in and I didn't want him to be miserable.
So, Travis headed up the mountain and we waited to hear from the doctor. By that afternoon, we had the prescription the doctor wanted us to put on his hand and Hudson was a happy camper. So, I decided to pack up and drive the 2 hours.
Notice in the picture below Hudson with his bandage:
(it looks worse with the bandage, but the only way to keep it clean and covered in ointment was to create what we called "the mitt".)
After I arrived we spent some time with the group and then headed up to our room. We ordered room service and Hudson was in one of the best moods even though it was about 10:30 at night. He was laughing at everything and anything. Once the food arrived we all 3 sat on the bed and ate our food... even Hudson shared in the feast. It was such a sweet moment and I remember thinking that I would remember that night forever.
It was dark when I got to our room so the next morning I was surprised to see this outside our window. Our God is so creative and His beauty never ceases to amaze me.
The whole incident with Hudson burning his hand just reminded me how I cannot protect or save him from everything. God is in control of his life and Hudson is His. And I am sure this is just the beginning of little accidents we will have along the way. I am glad to report that a week later his hand is almost completely healed. Praise God!